Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thing 21:Assignment/Research Project Calculator

Considering the (almost) indisputable fact that time management is the weakest link in the chain of events involving a research project, the Assignment Calculator is a great recommendation for anyone requesting help with their research projects. Who hasn't underestimated the time it would take, and ended up in an 'eleventh hour panic', with a long way to go and a short time to get there? I also think that most people faced with a research project want to cut to the chase as much as possible, and the Assignment Calculator filled that bill better than the Research Project Calculator. Both work well for organizing a plan and setting up a schedule for carrying it out, and both offer suggestions for each step of the way, but the Assignment Calculator's interface puts the step-by-step details more in the background (i.e., more optional depending on the needs and existing proficiency of the researcher).

The Teacher Guide addressed some essential topics in a very useful way, and could be used by teachers or librarians to guide students through typically sticky areas such as optimizing a Google search, using proper format, avoiding plagarism, etc. Or, the self-motivated student could just as easily us it to as a personal guide.

I wish I had these tools when I was wading through my research projects in college and graduate school, and can see where it could be useful even in projects such as high school science fairs, etc. But I definitely do not wish for any more of those projects for myself, in order to try it out, thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment